Friday, November 11, 2011

Moving, moving, moving ...

All of the M. Splendida Splendida fry have hatched (pretty sure anyway!) and when I tested the water in their hatching tray today, OMG! The ammonia test bottomed out!

So I quickly tested the water of the planted tank that they'd been floating in, which had been set up for about a month now and the parameters were almost perfect (although the ammonia was at .25, so I'll be watching that like a hawk!) and then scooped them all in.

The count so far of hatched fry were 60 + 4 that if they don't die or straighten out will need to be culled. I just thought that since they were such strong swimmers, that *maybe* the water being so horrid was making it hard for them to get their tails fully free of the egg so now they have a shot and if they die, well, best to do it in a planted tank rather than some other method.

But so far, 60 strong babies! Already planning for getting the larger grow out tank set up ... I have a brand new 25 gallon that I could easily setup, and I'm going to need to - this 2.5 gallon might at the most last me 2 weeks ... if that if they all stay healthy!

Thank goodness payday is next week so I can make sure I have everything to upgrade them quickly.

No comments: