Monday, January 16, 2012

30 gallon MTS update

Well, so we've been struggling with a variety of algae blooms and also a bloom of cyanobacteria as well. Plus many plants have melted as this tank is just seeming to take FOREVER to settle down and get its groove going.

Anyways, here is the update on where it's at now, it's not pretty but I've had worse, so not complaining! LOL!




Here is a close-up of this blue-green slime algae as it is called (it's actually a bacterial bloom and not algae at all) and how it's spread ...







Good news though, (I hope anyways! LOL!) ... I got C02 started on it! So tonight I will be scraping off as much of that gunk as I can, doing a 50% - 70% water change (no fauna in it as of yet so I can do whatever the heck I want to with it to get it under control!), squirt on some H202 on all the cyano I can see, and then clean out my filters and I'll remove the charcoal and the floss and see if that helps at all. Treating it with Maracyn at double the dose for 8 days did not see to really affect it at all unfortunately, so hopefully these other measures will help.

No comments: